If you seek professional athletes to follow on Twitter, you can find many 2010 Olympians and NBA (National Basketball Association) stars. But, if you want to find baseball players, tennis athletes and golfers, the number of professionals with more than 20,000 followers are few and far between. The top 50 pro athletes listed below were based upon their Twitter popularity, but we limited the number of the most popular sports to ten, and combined baseball and tennis for a total of five Twitter users in those two sports.
This list is categorized, and each pro athlete’s Twitter name is listed alphabetically within each category. When you click on each link, you can go to that athlete’s Twitter page where you can follow his or her Tweets. There are no agents or sports clubs listed…the list below contains athletes only.
These are the top ten athlete Twitter accounts from the 2010 Winter Olympics:
- AngelaRuggiero: Follow this woman, a four-time ice hockey Olympic medalist, World Champion, leader of the US Women’s National Team and Harvard Graduate.
- ApoloOhno: Record-winning eight-time Olympic medalist in speed skating, Ohno also is known for his stint on Dancing with the Starts.
- celskeet: JR Celski won the bronze on the short track in speed skating, after spending the 2008-2009 season on the Senior Circuit winning medals and traveling through North America, Asia and Europe.
- EvanLysacek: 2010 Olympic Champion and 2009 World Champion in men’s figure skating and contestant on the 10th season of ABC’s Dancing with the Stars.
- JohnnyGWeir: Weir is from Russia…he’s not only an accomplished figure skater, he’s a world-class fashionista — all at the age of 23.
- lindseyvonn: This skier finally made the Gold this year, but not without struggles.
- louievito: Vito became prominent on the professional snowboarding scene at age 17 by completing a backside 1080 at the Australia Open — making him the first rider to successfully pull off the complex move. He came in fifth this year in the half-pipe at the Olympics.
- Shaun_White: This snowboarder wowed the crowd with his gravity-defying Double McTwist 1260 — but only after he had already won the Gold for the half-pipe.
- SteveMesler: 3x Olympic bobsledder, fisherman, lover of politics, travel and discovery…and his newly crowned 2010 Olympic Championship.
- Yunaaaa: An incredible skaer, Kim Yu-Na won the championship in ladies singles, the 2009 World Championship and the 2009 Four-Continents Championship. As of February 2010, Kim is ranked first in the world by the International Skating Union (ISU).
The top-ten followed NBA stars, no less than 320,000 followers and up to 2,850,326 followers for Shaq.
- cisco32: Francisco Garcia is a 6’7″, 195-pound guard–forward from the University of Louisville, and who currently plays for the Sacramento Kings of the NBA.
- derekfisher: Shaq and Kobe may be the Lakers’ stars, but Fish’s influence and leadership on the floor and in the locker room were evident for anyone who came in contact with the team.
- DwightHoward: Dwight has led the Magic to one of their best starts to a season in the 20-year history of the franchise, rolling 33 wins in the first 41 games.
- jasonterry31: This Dallas Mavericks shooting guard/point guard goes by “JET,” a nickname derived from his initials.
- kaj33: Kareem Abdul-Jabbar is NBA’s all-time leading scorer, still on top of the game.
- mister6clutch: Mario Chalmers had played in every Miami Heat game up to the missing January 31st game against Milwaukee Bucks. It was the first game he had missed in his two year career. He has a torn ligament in his thumb and will be out indefinitely.
- paulpierce34: The one and only Paul Pierce of the Boston Celtics, out to pierce the truth…
- QRich: From DePaul University in Chicago directly to the NBA Draft in 2000, Quentin Richardson currently is on the roster of the Miami Heat.
- RealLamarOdom: Meet and follow Lamar Odom, currently the 6’10” forward/guard/center for the Los Angeles Lakers.
- THE_REAL_SHAQ: The real Shaq (Shaquille O’Neal), out and about, performing acts of Shaqness.
- OGOchoCinco: Chad Javon Ochocinco is an American football wide receiver for the Cincinnati Bengals of the National Football League. He was drafted by the Bengals in the second round of the 2001 NFL Draft.
- kerryrhodes: Kerry Rhodes currently plays safety for the New York Jets in the National Football League. He played college football at University of Louisville. He also runs the Kerry Rhodes Foundation, providing youth with scholarships.
- Lfitzgerald11: Larry Darnell Fitzgerald, Jr. is an American football wide receiver for the Arizona Cardinals of the National Football League.
- kirkmorrison52: Middle linebacker for The Oakland Raiders, Morrison was drafted by the Raiders in the third round of the 2005 NFL Draft.
- Mark_Sanchez: This New York Jets quarterback was selected 5th overall in the 2009 NFL draft.
- NickBarnett: Follow this linebacker for the Green Bay Packers.
- reggie_bush: Reginald Alfred “Reggie” Bush II is a football player for the New Orleans Saints of the National Football League. He has played running back/tailback, wide receiver, and punt returner.
- ShaunPhillips95: Shaun Phillips is an American football outside linebacker for the San Diego Chargers.
- TakeoSpikes51: Takeo Spikes wants to bring the Lombardi Trophy back to San Francisco and the 49ers.
- terrellowens: Wide receiver #81 Terrell Owens is a six-time Pro Bowl selection, and former holder of the league single-game reception record. Owens has been one of the dominant receivers of his era and is currently a free agent.
No matter what you call this sport, it has its stars and followers…
- CharlieDavies9: Charles Desmond “Charlie” Davies is an American soccer player who plays as a striker for French Ligue 1 side Sochaux.
- DiegoTardelli09: Diego Tardelli Martins is a Brazilian striker. He currently plays for Atletico Mineiro.
- FreddyAdu11: This American soccer player currently plays for Aris Thessaloniki in the Greek Super League, on loan from Benfica.
- JozyAltidore17: Josmer Volmy “Jozy” Altidore is another American soccer player currently playing for Hull City of the English Premier League, on loan from Villarreal of the Spanish Primera Division, and for the United States national team.
- julianobelletti: Awarded the Silver Ball by Placar for his consistently great performances, Juliano Haus Belletti is a Brazilian footballer who currently plays for Chelsea as a right back, although he can also play as a midfielder.
- leomoura2: Leonardo da Silva Moura is a Brazilian right wingback who currently plays for Brazil’s Flamengo.
- luis_fabuloso: Luis Fabiano Clemente, known as Luis Fabiano, is a Brazilian football player who currently plays for Sevilla FC as a striker.
- MauriceEdu: Maurice “Mo” Edu is an American association footballer who currently plays for Scottish Premier League side Rangers and the United States national team.
- Petkovic10: This 37-year-old Serbian played a pivotal role for Brazil’s Flamengo, scoring 8 goals (including 2 Olympic goals) and leading the Rubro-Negro challenge to eventually win its sixth Brazilian Championship title.
- RealKaka: Ricardo Izecson dos Santos Leite, known as Kaka, is a Brazilian football midfielder who currently plays for Real Madrid C.F. and the Brazilian national team.
These golfers all have more than 20,000 followers, and at least one has almost as many followers as Shaq.
- Ianjamespoulter: Ian Poulter is a global tour golfer. He’s a Massive Arsenal fan and also loves Orlando’s Magic.
- Paul_Casey: England’s Paul Casey burst onto the professional scene in 2000 following an extremely successful amateur career that culminated in a record individual performance at the 1999 Walker Cup in Nairn, Scotland.
- PGA_JohnDaly: John Daly is a top PGA professional golfer from Arkansas.
- Rorsmcilroy: Rory McIlroy is a European Tour golfer, a big Man United and Ulster Rugby fan and loves cars.
- stewartcink: Stewart Cink, out of Georgia (or South Carolina), is an all-Nike clubs player and a method putter. He has almost as many follwers as Shaq.
Baseball and Tennis
It is sad when baseball commentators have more Twitter followers than the actual players. Here are three pro baseball players who have more than 20,000 followers. The lack of baseball pros on Twitter leaves room for the two top tennis stars…
- andy_murray: Andrew “Andy” Murray is a Scottish professional tennis player and current British number one.
- andyroddick: Andrew Stephen “Andy” Roddick is the top-ranked American tennis player and the only male American inside the top 10.
- CC_Sabathia: This is the official Twitter of Carsten Charles “CC” Sabathia, an American Major League Baseball starting pitcher for the New York Yankees.
- JoseCanseco: Jose Canseco Capas, Jr. is a former outfielder and designated hitter in Major League Baseball and the identical twin brother of former major league player Ozzie Canseco. After retiring from baseball he has competed in boxing and mixed martial arts.
- NickSwisher: On November 13, 2008, Nick was traded to the New York Yankees, where he is a world champion and the toast of New York.
If you enjoyed this article, please Save it on Delicious.